Puppies should be starting this class before they are 3.5 months old so they will be 5-5.5 months at the end of class. They can start as early as 9 weeks because unlike obedience training and behavior modification, socialization and bite inhibition training MUST be accomplished during puppyhood. The window when it's easiest to resolve temperament problems is before 4 months.
Class will discuss common problems that are starting in your home such as:
- Food guarding and the importance of chew toys
- Being Alone
- House soiling
- Dominance and punishment myths
- Appropriate training techniques for your juvenile puppy
- How to use food effectively without becoming a bribe
- How to develop reliable responses in distracted environments
This class teaches:
- Proper socialization for the temperament of your puppy with people & other dogs
- How to set up a successful prevention plan
- Soft mouth and the concept of trading and sharing and prevention of resource guarding
- Proper meet and greet styles and play criteria
- How to desensitize your puppy to potentially threatening situation, including petting, handling, hugging, and restraint, especially by children, men, and strangers, valued objects, such as a food bowl, toys, and bones
- The foundation of choosing you instead of their environment and working around distractions
- Impulse control and handling techniques to calm over arousal
- Basic manners - Sit, Down, Stand, Take-it/Drop it, Leave it, Go To Bed, On/Off.
- Recall from play and Loose-leash walking and the start of Heeling
Focus is on bringing up a healthy and well-adjusted puppy, socialization and building your puppy’s confidence while developing proper play skills, self-control and a strong positive relationship. (Click to read: Why is a Puppy Class so Important?)
PUPPY CLASSES are at Canine Campus, 2109A Louie Dr, West Kelowna, BC., starting:
Sundays Oct 20 - Nov 24 from 7-8:15pm
Cost for 6 weeks - $189 FULL
Includes a binder with up to date and reliable resource material and weekly Homework instructions.
Orientation, without dogs, will be October 17th at 7pm at Canine Campus in West Kelowna).
Option B- $249 for 1.5 hour in-home private training and 4 weeks of classes. Get started in your home before class begins!
Proof of vaccinations* that declares your puppy is in good health and has started vaccinations or tither testing is required prior to the start of class.
*The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour believes that it should be the standard of care for puppies to receive such socialization before they are fully vaccinated. Click to read: AVSAB Puppy Socialization
Canine Campus requires all dogs to be in good health, up to date vaccinations, kennel cough and flea and lice treatment to attend their day care. Dogs are trained to eliminate in a designated potty area and any accidents are cleaned with professional and safe cleaning products. The facility is cleaned and disinfected daily and is a safer environment than being outside where dogs with unknown history have been until your puppy has completed full vaccinations.
Discount rate of $70/hour for people that are in a class and want to either catch up with a missed class and/or apply classroom instruction to their home environment. Does not include a summary of the training session.