GROUP LEASH WALKS - Outdoor Drop in
For dogs that have completed Basic Manners Class.
This outdoor class provides an opportunity to practice what you’ve learned in class and to problem solve in a social group to achieve a relaxed and stress free relationship with your dog while walking on a loose leash. (Click and scroll down to read How to Help A Leash-Reactive Dog)
Everyone should have a good leash relationship with their dog. Teaching your dog good leash manners takes time and repetition. But a leash walk for your dog is often not enough exercise or stimulation and can be very unnatural or boring for your dog. If you don’t provide a proper balance then your dog may start to show some very undesirable behaviours. These behaviours often condemn your dog to the leash and can encourage the behaviour to continue or worsen.
Ideal for dogs that are:
- pulling on the leash
- rudely approaching other dogs
- jumping on others
- snapping at the heels of joggers or cyclists
- lunging, barking or appearing reactive.
We discuss topics and practice techniques such as:
- How to start with connection and work around distraction
- What level and type of activity works for your dog? "Should you be lunging your horse before you go for a ride?"
- How to reinforce polite behaviours
- What type of walk is ideal for your dog? - Heel, Let’s Go, Go Sniff (on a longer line?)
- How to stop encouraging pulling
- Basic Manners and/or Intermediate Class greetings to people or dogs (or not!)
- Recall and impulse control around movement
This is a drop in class held on Saturday mornings that are approximately 1+ hrs. Registration is required because locations might change and is depending on weather and minimum of 4 dogs.
- 2-3 different types of food rewards ranging from low value to high value or a toy, if your dog values toy rewards.
- your long line for long distance recall.
- wear sensible walking shoes,
- bring water - can leave in your car for after the walk
- bug spray,
- poo bags.
- 6 foot leash, no flexi leads.
- make sure your dog's city licence has been renewed.
If this is your first walk, please come 10 minutes early and wait in your car before you bring out your dog.
$60 for your first 3 walks
$30 for your next 3 walks
Free to join walks after that.
Dates: Every second Saturday.
Time: 8:30 - 9:30 am
Location: Rosewood Park parking lot off Westlake Road across from Starlight Cres.
Go to BOOK NOW for dates and to register.
Bookings close 24 hours before the walk.
Pay cash before your walk or e-transfer $ for all 3 walks to with the password - dogtraining.
Please check your email Saturday morning by 7am for possible cancellation or change in location.